The teens was a decade of increasing digital consumption as the world signed up to be a part of streaming culture. It also saw great steps forward in LGBTQ+ equality across the world, including among many Commonwealth countries. In 2022, we celebrate Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee and 70 years since becoming Head of the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth currently has 54 member states and connects over 2.4 billion people across the world.
Questions for your reading group
- Most of these books examine experiences in different countries in the Commonwealth. Did your book(s) introduce you to any historical moments that you were unaware of?
- Some characters in this decade’s books experience prejudice and disadvantage. What barriers or challenges do they face?
- Some of the texts in this period have intertwining narratives. Why do you think the author(s) chose to use this technique and how do the narratives connect to each other?
- Many of the characters in these novels experience violence in different forms, such as war or domestic abuse. How does the writer present violence, and why do you think they included it?
- The geography of some of these books is a vital part to their characters stories. What impact do you think setting has?
- Death plays an important role in some of this decade’s titles. How is it presented in the text and what effect does it have on the characters?
- Hopes and dreams motivate a lot of the characters in these texts. How is this presented in your book(s) and do any of the characters achieve theirs?
- What other books published between 2012-22 would you recommend?
We are keen to hear from you and your reading group. Click here to tell us about your experience of taking part in the campaign and your group could have a chance at winning a set of 7 books as featured on Between the Covers.