The Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction today announces the 2017 longlist. Now in its 22nd year, the Prize celebrates excellence, originality and accessibility in writing by women in English from throughout the world. The announcement coincides with International Women’s Day 2017.
The longlist this year features three previous winners, three previously shortlisted authors, and three debut novels. Six nationalities are represented; UK, Ireland, America, Canada, South Africa and Nigeria.
- Stay With Me by Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀̀ (Canongate)
- The Power by Naomi Alderman (Viking)
- Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood (Hogarth)
- Little Deaths by Emma Flint (Picador)
- The Mare by Mary Gaitskill (Serpent’s Tail)
- The Dark Circle by Linda Grant (Virago)
- The Lesser Bohemians by Eimear McBride (Faber & Faber)
- Midwinter by Fiona Melrose (Corsair)
- The Sport of Kings by C.E. Morgan (4th Estate)
- The Woman Next Door by Yewande Omotoso (Chatto & Windus)
- The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O’Neill (riverrun)
- The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry (Serpent’s Tail)
- Barkskins by Annie Proulx (4th Estate)
- First Love by Gwendoline Riley (Granta)
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien (Granta)
- The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain (Chatto & Windus)
Reading Group shadowing
We have an exciting opportunity for reading groups to shadow the Prize shortlist this year. 12 lucky groups will be chosen by the Prize and will receive 10 copies of one of the shortlisted books for their group, as well as an exclusive Baileys package. In exchange, the group will read and review their title, and take part in the #BaileysPrize conversations across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Log in and visit our Noticeboard for your chance to take part.
Not yet a member of Reading Groups for Everyone? Sign up now – it’s quick, easy and free.
What do you think of the 2017 longlisted titles? Which have you read and do you think there are any books missing? Add your comments below, or click any title above to leave a review.
Want to make sure you never miss the latest reading group news? Sign up for our free monthly newsletter.
Don’t miss the exciting Baileys Prize Book Bar events taking place in Waterstones, Tottenham Court Road in April. Perfect for your reading group!