Win Chris Cleave at your reading group!
To celebrate National Reading Group day, Sceptre , The Booksellers Association and The Reading Agency have teamed up to offer you the chance for Chris Cleave, author of The Other Hand, Incendiary and the newly published Gold, to come to your reading group to talk about his work.
To be in with a chance of winning, tell us in 100 words or less why Chris should visit your reading group. As a tie-breaker, tell us why 'Reading groups are for everyone because...' Deadline for entries is midnight on 30th August 2012.
How to enter
Find out more about Chris and his novels
Gold is Chris Cleave's third novel. It is about what drives us to succeed - and what we choose to sacrifice for success. Gold is a story told only as Chris Cleave could tell it. And once you begin, it will be a heart-pounding race to the finish.
- Read the first chapter of Incendiary
- Read the story behind Incendiary
- Download the reading group guide to Incendiary
- Read the first chapter of The Other Hand
- Read the story behind The Other Hand
Find out more about Chris
Find Chris on Facebook
Follow Chris on Twitter
Chris Cleave reading group terms and conditions
- No purchase necessary to enter the competition.
- This competition is open to UK residents aged 18 years or over, with the exception of employees of the Promoter, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this promotion.
- Entries must be received by midnight on Thursday 30th August 2012. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the relevant closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid. Entries become the property of the Promoter and are not returned.
- Only one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
- To enter describe in up to 100 words why Chris should come to your reading group and complete the tiebreaker 'Reading groups are for everyone because...'. Fill in your entry on the form online at www.readinggroups.org/chriscleave and submit your answer
- All correctly completed entries will be forwarded to a judging panel made up of Chris Cleave and members of the Sceptre publishing team. The winner will be the entry that in the opinion of the judges writes the most convincing and entertaining reason that Chris should attend their reading group, within the word limit.
- The prize for the winner is for Chris to visit their Reading Group to talk about his work. The meeting will be held in the afternoon on a date convenient to both Chris and the Reading Group. The Reading Group will be held at a mutually convenient location over afternoon tea. Transport will not be included but location will be local to the reading group. The Reading group should be a maximum of 10 members.
- In the event that you cannot make a suitable date or time, no alternative dates will be possible and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to a substitute winner.
- The judges' decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are non-transferrable and no cash alternative will be offered.
- Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be notified via email or post by 30th September 2012. The winner must claim their prize within 30 days of the Promoter sending notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
- By entering this competition each entrant confirms that his/her entry is their wholly-owned creation and to the extent that such entry makes use of any third party materials that these have been fully cleared unless they are no longer protected by copyright or other intellectual property rights. Entrants will keep the Promoter harmless from any claims in relation to their entry that the entry infringes the personal or proprietary right of any other person. By submitting an entry, each entrant (or their parent/guardian on their behalf) grants to the Promoter a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to edit, publish, translate, modify, adapt, make available and distribute the entry throughout the world in any media now known or hereafter invented. Each entrant (or their parent/guardian on their behalf) undertakes to complete any necessary documentation to formalise the licence. If you do not want to grant us these rights, please do not submit materials to us.
- To obtain details of the winner please email email@example.com stating the name of the competition in the subject heading 4 weeks after the closing date.
- The Promoter will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the competition, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this competition, all entrants consent to the use of their personal data by the Promoter for the purposes of the administration of this competition and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
- The winners agree to take part in reasonable post event publicity and to the use of their names and photographs in such publicity.
- By entering the competition each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The Promoter is Hodder & Stoughton, 338, Euston Rd, London NW1 3BH.
- These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.